Section 1 - Introduction
What is the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise?
The Pennsylvania Association of Bed and Breakfast Inns (PABBI) and health officials across the Commonwealth have requested that individual Bed & Breakfast/Inn owners and innkeepers make a set of voluntary commitments to their staff and guests constituting "Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise" for the COVID-19 recovery period. When guests see The Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise, they know that the Bed & Breakfast/Inn has committed to taking appropriate actions to protect their staff and guests and that they are taking a leadership role in protecting their community.
Participants will continue to comply with federal, state, and local guidance as a reopening process begins. The Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise also empowers guests to learn what they can do to help keep everyone safe. With Bed & Breakfast/Inns and guests working together, we can make the Bed & Breakfast industry as vibrant as it was prior to the impact of COVID-19.
Who can participate in the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise?
Any Bed and Breakfast or Inn that is reopening its property for guests.
Where can I get the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise?
You can download the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfasts Inns Promise to post at your property and/or on your website.
Section 2 - Bed & Breakfast/Inn Responsibilities & Options
How do Bed & Breakfast/Inns participate in the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise?
Bed & Breakfast/Inns agree to comply with governmental guidance for all phases of reopening and recovery. We also commit to protect our staff and guests in the following ways:
- We will continue to be a leader in safe sanitation practices and have all appropriate staff understand safe food handling.
- All staff will complete a health survey prior to each shift.*
- All indoor and outdoor seating options will comply with the appropriate physical distancing guidelines.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available for guests and staff throughout the property.
- We will clean and sanitize common areas and surfaces regularly.
- All tables and hard surfaces will be cleaned and sanitized after every use.
- We will clean and sanitize all linens and hard surfaces in guest rooms after every guest.
- Place settings, utensils, menus, and condiments will either be single-use or will be cleaned and disinfected after every use.
- We will post the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise at our entrance, so everyone understands the steps we have voluntarily taken to help keep our guests, staff, and communities safe.
Section 3 - Best Practices
What are some best practices Bed & Breakfasts/Inns can, but are not specifically required to follow, in order to comply with the commitments in the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise?
Importantly, Bed and Breakfasts/Inns are already experts in safe food handling and sanitation, and so many of their routine practices will go a long way towards fulfilling the commitments in the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise. Different strategies will be appropriate for different Bed & Breakfasts/Inns at different times, but the following are ideas that can be implemented or adapted to fit a Bed & Breakfast's/Inn's needs:
- Designate a single employee per shift, ideally with a clearly identifiable uniform or badge for guests to recognize, to oversee safety and sanitation measures.
- Staff shall wear glovers and masks and other protective equipment in keeping with public health guidelines relating to COVID-19.
- Limit table capacity in accordance with recommended guidelines.
- As an alternate option to physical distancing, consider the use of physical barriers when appropriate.
- Tables should be moved apart, removed, or taken out of service. For tables that are unable to be moved, physically block off or take out of service so they are clearly not in use.
- Use signage to help customers comply with social distance guidelines in common areas.
- Encourage contactless payment options like credit cards, and self-checkin.
- Temporarily close self-serve, and other communal serving areas.
- Have each staff member complete a health survey prior to their shift.*
*What kinds of questions should a Bed & Breakfast/Inn ask its staff to perform health screenings daily?
Yes or no questions/statements like these can help strike the balance between obtaining the necessary health information and respecting privacy concerns. The recommendation is to have all staff complete a simple pre-shift screening that includes answering questions like:
- Do you have any of these symptoms: fever, aches, cough, shortness of breath?
- Have you knowingly come in contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID-19?
- Are you currently waiting for the results of a COVID-19 test?
- Have you traveled outside Pennsylvania over the last 14 days?
- I understand my responsibility to not come to work if I have symptoms of COVID-19 or have recently come into contact with someone who has COVID-19.
- I understand my responsibility to comply with the Bed & Breakfasts/inns health and sanitation standards.
How should participating Bed & Breakfasts/Inns communicate the commitments of the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise?
It's vital that Bed & Breakfasts/Inns communicate the commitments directly to their staff and monitor compliance. Bed & Breakfasts/Inns should also take steps to communicate their enrollment in the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise by posting the required notice at entrances, on its website and via applicable social media channels.
Section 4 - Guest Responsibilities & Options
Why are guest included within the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise?
Guests are included because we all have a responsibility to follow public health authority guidance to prevent the spread of COVID-19. By partnering together, we can keep everyone safe.
What commitments does the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise ask guests to make to Bed & Breakfasts/Inns?
- If you have been exposed to COVID-19 recently or have symptoms of COVID-19 (including a fever, cough, or shortness of breath), please help us keep everyone safe by rescheduling your stay.
- If you have underlying health conditions or are otherwise concerned about contracting COVID-19, please feel free to discuss your concerns with us.
- If you have any questions about the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise, we will be happy to assist you.
What can Bed & Breakfasts/Inns do to help guests meet these obligations?
Bed & Breakfasts/Inns are encouraged to maximize the use of social distancing and enhanced cleaning protocols and advertise those options to potential guests. Publicizing information about the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise should also increase guests' compliance.
Section 5 - Additional Resources & Next Steps
What resources and support are available related to the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise?
PABBI will share information about the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise with elected officials, the public, allied groups, and the media to assure the public and policymakers that Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfasts/Inns stand ready to reopen safely in keeping with these commitments. PABBI will also be available to help answer questions and provide support to Bed & Breakfasts/Inns as they reopen their businesses.
The Pennsylvania Association of Bed & Breakfast Inns (PABBI) is a 501 (c) (6) trade association representing the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast industry. PABBI has developed the Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfast Inns Promise guidelines above, seeking voluntary participation by Pennsylvania Bed & Breakfasts/Inns. PABBI makes no warranties with respect to the ultimate effectiveness of the Promise program, and assumes no responsibility for assuring compliance by any Bed & Breakfast/Inn with such guidelines.