You are here
Mushroom Festival 2015
Join the festivities in Kennett Square, PA as "The Mushroom Capital of the World" hosts its spectacular celebration of mushrooms celebrating its 30th year! The first commercial mushroom production started in Kennett Square over 100 years ago and 65% of mushrooms grown in America happens right here in this small town.
Always the weekend after Labor Day, this year's festival will be held on Saturday, September 12 and Sunday, September 13. Events include:
- Culinary Tent: On the Kitchen Stage, celebrity guest chefs share recipes and cooking techniques. (Saturday & Sunday)
- Mushroom Growing Exhibit: Meet the area's local mushroom growers as they take you step-by-step through the mushroom growing process (Saturday & Sunday). Sunday also features the annual Mushroom Judging Contest.
- National Fried Mushroom Eating Championship: How many fried mushrooms can one person consume in eight minutes? Join us as professionals and amateurs challenge the world record of 9 pounds set last year (Saturday).
- Antique and Classic Car Show: Stroll under the shade of Broad Street and see some of the region's unique antique and classic cars (Saturday).
- Soup and Wine Fest: On Sunday, sample the soups of area restaurants and vote for your favorite as local chefs battle for the title of Best Mushroom Soup in the Brandywine Valley. PA wineries vie for the title of Best Red and Best White.
These are just a few of the many great events at the Mushroom Festival each year. For a complete schedule and map, visit www.mushroomfestival.org. Kennett Square is located off Route 1 in southern Chester County. During the Mushroom Festival many main roads are closed. Please follow the posted detour signs to the satellite parking lots. Shuttle bus service to the festival is available.
Book your weekend stay at a nearby Bed & Breakfast.